Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Book Reviews #5 & #6

Well I seem to be falling behind on getting my reviews posted. I'm actually doing pretty good on my reading. I am just about finished with Book #7 and should have book #8 finished by this weekend. While I am behind I'm still proud of how many books I have read and greatly enjoy this challenge I have set for myself.


Book #5 Stories of the Heart and Home Dr. James Dobson

This book was another book that belonged to Grandma Beaty. Anyone that has read a book of hers will know that she had a tendency to write notes and underline various parts in the books she read. This book contains quite a few underlined selections. In fact in the cover of this book she even wrote “A Must Read and Keep.” After reading this I completely agree with her. In fact I have to admit that I ended up bookmarking and underlining several things that really stuck out when reading this book. This book was compiled by taking stories from many of his other books. These stories have provided him with insight in his life and felt others would benefit from them. The stories cover so many topics and none at too preachy. Like most books containing many stories there are stories that make you smile, laugh, and even some that make you cry. Each story helps the reader evaluate the relationships in ones life. Topics range from growing up, relationships with ones parents, significant others, children, and the most important ones relationship with God. Reading this book some chapters really pulled me in and I couldn’t get enough of the stories it contained. The chapter ‘Raising Children’ was of great interest to me and I found myself underlining a lot in this section. Dr. Dobson talks a lot about the importance of being their for your children but allowing them to be their own person. In this day in age I think this is a major issue for so many families. Too many parents pamper their children too much, not nearly enough, or worst of all believe their child(ren) are perfect as pass it onto their child(ren). Dr Dobson makes many good points in his stories and I often found myself thinking ‘it’s too bad those who would benefit from these stories would probably never read a book like this.’ Dr. Dobson shares the prayers his wife and him say for their children every night. (These are now bookmarked and I think I’m going the type them out on my computer and keep by my bed)

4 out of 5 stars - This was a great read and I think many would enjoy reading this book. One of the great things about a book like this is that it’s split up into chapter topics that you could read the selections that most interest you. Also mot of the selections are fairly short so it doesn’t take a lot of time to read.



Book #6 : Swine Not: A Novel Pig Tale Jimmy Buffett

If you’ve never read a Jimmy Buffett book you don’t know what you are missing. My English Teacher, Mr Campbell introduced Jim and I to Buffett’s writings and I’ve never been disappointed in any of his writings. I believe my book library currently contains all of his books. I just happened to be looking at books at the Dollar Store a month ago and found this book. Needless to say I couldn’t wait to finish the book I was reading at the time to read this book. One of the great traits about Buffett’s writing is that he takes truth and combines it with his imagination to make some of the greatest stories. Swine Not is no different except it wasn’t originally his story. When a friend of his gave him a manuscript about her pet pig she had spent years hiding in a hotel in New York Buffett was hooked and so began his journey to write the story, Swine Not. This is such a sweet little story narrated by Barley, the kid and Rumpy, the pig. The adventures that Rumpy experiences when he moves from Tennessee to New York are quite interesting.

3 ½ out of 5 stars - While I really liked this story I didn’t get pulled into it as much as I like to when reading a book. It was easy to put the book down when I had something else to do. Unlike the other Buffett books I don’t know if I would reread this book. Still I thought this book was well written and for someone looking for a kind hearted story it’s a good selection.

No comments:

Post a Comment