Monday, February 6, 2012

Book # 3 What Is A Mother

Compiled by Lee Parr McGarth & Joan Scobey

This book belonged to Jim’s grandmother, Emma who passed away last summer. She gave me this book a few years ago. An interesting fact is at her funeral I read a poem called “What Is a Mother.” This book contains the responses of children from various schools in New York and Texas as to “What is a Mother.” Compiled in 1968 it was interesting to see how many responses talked about the mother being in the home. The responses ranged from very sweet to some seemed kind of rude. I noticed how many of the names were traditional, older names not often used now.

Some of my favorites were:

Who is a mother? She knows what is important. That is why God asked them to be a mother.

- Lizann

I think we are lucky to have a mother of our own. I love my mother so much I can keep saying it for the rest of the day.

- Love, Hazel

Just what is a mother? A mother is indescribable

- Doug


2 out of 5 stars - While this is a cute book I didn't overly enjoy it. I think it reflects a lot how mothers were viewed at that time in America though.

No comments:

Post a Comment