Friday, January 13, 2012

Book #2 : Harry Potter & the Sorcerer’s Stone



This was a reread of this book for me. I first read this book for one of my classes at ISU. Being asked to read a book for a class always seems to change the real enjoyment you get out of a book. Especially since the teachers always want you to only read so much at a time. My enjoyment of sitting down and getting lost in a book can’t happen when a restriction is put on how much can be read. I think a lot is also lost when you take breaks in your reading.

The biggest difference between reading the book then and now was the fact that I knew how the whole story really ends. Since reading the book I read all the books and had seen all but the last movie in the series. Sometimes I feel that one of the best times to reread a book is when you feel you can’t take anything new from it. Of course I was wrong and greatly enjoyed reading this book again. The first thing I noticed were all the parts I had forgotten from the book. The first chapter especially shocked me because I totally forgot the scene was in the book and the fact Sirius Black is mentioned in it. J.K Rowling is such a great writer and reading her books has allowed me many hours of entertainment. As happens so often with books that are turned into movies some of the great parts are only in the book. Neville is very well written about throughout the book and his standing up to the three of them is quite dramatic. Hermione’s figuring out the potions is another great part left out of the movie. My biggest compliant about this book is how the conflict of the story is wrapped up. It just seems so sudden and feel like there is a part missing. For an introductory book to the series I think the writing is quite good.

3 out of 5 stars for this book. While someone who’s never read the series I think would greatly enjoy this book. I feel that this book is lacking in some areas though and I think there are some parts that are too rushed and could really been better written.

No comments:

Post a Comment