Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Recent Creation - Fabric Wreaths

Still reading my most recent book so thought I'd share a craft I made recently. For those that don't know I decided to try for a homemade Christmas this year. While I was not able to do all gifts homemade 85% were. One of my favorite creations I made were my fabric wreaths.
My sister, Mindy has a beautiful, large house that she enjoys decorating for Christmas. Having only moved into her house about 2 years ago and still doing renovations has limited the amount of decorations she currently has. Well being the Christmas decoration queen in our family ( we are up to five trees, over 12 large totes of stuff, and another seven totes worth of unorganized Christmas stuff) I figured I help her out. So I sat down and went through our fabric bins selecting various red and green fabrics. Once I had chosen a good amount I sat down and began cutting strips. After each fabric was cut I began tying them onto a reshaped hanger. As I worked through the different fabrics the wreath began fuller and fuller and I was thrilled by how great it was turning out. I finished the wreath and showed it to Jim when he got home that night. He liked it a lot and before I knew it he had asked me to make more for some other people. I ended up making seven wreaths: Mindy, Laura, Carol, Mom, Grandma, Peg, & Mary. While I enjoyed the red & green I needed some variety in my creations. Therefore my next wreath I decided to use blue fabrics. I'll admit I loved the blue ones and plan to make one for myself. When I decided to make Laura's I knew I had to make a special one so I made a trip to Hobby Lobby where I got some orange fabric and Fighting Illini fabric. Then I got some blue fabric at Wal-Mart and created a Orange & Blue wreath just for her. Here are some of pictures of my wreaths I made.

Things I learned making these wreaths:
- No wreath was exactly alike. It didn't matter if I used the same fabrics I would always end up doing the pattern differently or needing more strips then previous wreaths.
- I takes me about a little over two hours to complete one wreath
- Different fabrics change the whole layout and sometimes the fullness of the wreath.
- Even if fabrics look like they really clash individually they look pretty awesome together on the wreath.
Isn't Charles cute framed in a wreath?

No comments:

Post a Comment