Monday, January 9, 2012

Running To Read



I'm sure most people that run don't do it because they want to read. In my case that is one of my main reasons I do run though. Nothing compares to grabbing my favorite book and going downstairs on my treadmill to get some reading done. No please understand I am in no way 'running' when reading my books. I variety my pace from a 1 - around 2.5 to get may heartbeat up and some exercise in.
There are a few reasons for the behavior (since I'm sure some might find this behavior odd)
  1. Being at home so much I feel like I should be constantly completing chores around the house. Therefore often when I start reading I feel an overwhelming wave of guilt that I should be cleaning instead. When on my treadmill though can't really be cleaning so might as use that time to read.
  2. Getting on my treadmill sometimes takes some convincing. Having the 'reward' of getting some reading done often makes that desire to be on the treadmill greater.
  3. When I read a book I tend to get lost in what I'm reading. This is great for working out on the treadmill because my usual time of 10-15 minutes has been increase to 30-45 minutes without we even realizing I've been on that long.
  4. Two of my goals this year is to read (I really believe I will reach my 60 books by the end of the year) and get in better shape. What greater activity for myself right now then to read while working out on my treadmill.
Would love to hear your opinion on this and if there are any other Runners to Read out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment